Tuesday 4 November 2014

DUBLIN, IRELAND

I fell in love with the city, at first sight it looked pretty!


     I went to Dublin back in September this year to celebrate my 20th birthday with a couple of my friends. I absolutely adore this city! Right from the very start you realise why Irish people do not like to be called British. Dublin is extremely European, modern, has it's own charm. Very unlike any UK city or town. 


     I went to Dublin for one night only, and got very lucky with the weather. It was warm and sunny, making me want to explore this beautiful city further and further. Most interesting places are more or less around each other, and it is quite easy to find them, even with a simple tourist map that they give away outside the airport for free. River Liffey running through the middle of the city is quite convenient, as whenever you feel that you're lost, the river is your guiding point.



     A definite must when visiting Dublin is going to the Guinness factory. I mean, this is what Ireland is famous for all around the globe. The entry fee for an adult is €18, although you can get a 10% discount if you're a student. Just a quick reminder, don't forget to purchase a pint at the factory, I can ensure you that the 'Guinness' beer will not taste the same afterwards, no matter which pub you get it from.


     Once we are on the topic of alcohol, whilst in Dublin you have to taste the original Irish Coffee, made with whiskey. I have got to tell you, it is pretty strong, however I guarantee that you will not be able to drink such coffee elsewhere around the world. The price of one coffee is around €7.


     If you are looking for souvenir shops and narrow, hidden streets, Temple Bar is the place for you. You will be able to find absolutely everything in that spot, whilst surrounded by a fable-like scenery.


     Ireland is a catholic country, therefore this is no surprise that I was able to find many churches on my way. The one that stands out is definitely the St. Patrick's Cathedral. To enjoy the view of this beautiful church from the inside, you need to buy a visitors ticket for €5.50. 

     The Irish Museum of Modern Art is also an intriguing place. The exhibitions are a real treat for anybody that manifests even a vague interest in any area of art. This is a free entry museum, a perfect attraction if you run out of money.
     
  
     You do not need to save up to visit this fantastic city. If you search in advance, you can purchase direct flight tickets from Birmingham International to Dublin Airport for just £19.98 return with Ryanair. Transport from the airport to the city centre on the Irish side costs €10 return, and the tickets for the bus can be purchased at a kiosk outside the airport. Do not fear, accommodation isn't a problem either. I was able to find a hostel with breakfast near the city centre for £12.85 per night. As you can see, it is not an expensive destination. I would recommend visiting Dublin to anyone, I bet you will fall in love with it as much as I did!




No comments:

Post a Comment